||[Dec. 3rd, 2012|08:26 pm]
So I've decided to take a leaf out of Dan's book and set myself 31 goals for December - I suppose if I can achieve half of them I'll be pretty happy too.
1. Write on LJ once per week.
2. Finish the Life Story Therapy book.
3. Buy everyone's Christmas presents.
4. Make a new budget now that I have a new flatmate and my rent is cheaper - yay!
5. Clean up my room - it's terrible since I've moved everything in there from the spare room.
6. Catch the train at least once a week.
7. Go to the gym at least once a week (I'll try and be realistic here, more that once a week at this point is very unlikely to happen...)
8. No more than 5 cigarettes in December.
9. Write back to all text messages and facebook messages straight away.
10. Don't eat any meat (I've been a couple of months already, but I figure if I can stick it out for 6 months - and through Christmas - then I can officially classify myself as a vegetarian).
11. Go swimming at the beach.
12. Do my Lumosity brain exercises three times per week.
13. Sent Len a Christmas card in Vienna.
14. Email the real estate agent.
15. Clear out a kitchen cupboard for June (I really should do this today).
16. Catch up with Kim and Ollie.
17. Talk to June and Peter about buying a new fridge.
18. Keep my notes up to date at work (it took so much work to get me there!!)
19. Put up the Christmas tree.
20. Sort out my hard drive.
21. Put my Band Hero drums on ebay (or just throw them out).
22. Take the huge pile of clothes in the back of the car to the Salvos (as they have been in there for about 9 months now)
23. Once that is done, get my car washed and vacuumed.
24. Cook more proper dinners.
25. Buy more freezer bricks (to sleep with in summer).
Wow, I'm finding it really hard to come up with 31 achievable goals!!
26. Get up earlier. Oh, and go to bed earlier.
27. Make an onion and fetta tart.
28. Make cupcakes and use the new cupcake stand that Len got me for Christmas.
29. Take my lunch to work more (note these are all food based goals!)
30. Plan for New Years early enough to do something decent.
31. Stop playing so many stupid phone games.
OK it was hard enough coming up with those, let's see how I go trying to achieve them!!
I really like this as a goal setting activity, even though I never get all of them done. I think heading into next year I am going to base things to be even more goal-oriented and hopefully come up with some success from there.
What are the Lumosity exercises?
I've been doing it for a few years now, it's a website that does brain training exercises. Helps you improve your neural pathways in areas like memory, attention, flexibility, speed etc. They are cute and fun games too. I tend to go all out for a few days then not touch it for a few months, then repeat lol. Consistency is meant to be key, so I really should start to work in that. Oh, I also tend to keep playing the games I'm good at and ignore the ones I struggle with, which is totally not the point. I am a master at Penguin Persuit! You should give it a try :)
And note that by writing back to you straight away I am on the way to achieving one of my goals :) I always put off writing back to messages, for no reason really, and then forget all about them! I might set this as a NY resolution as well, it may take a while to drill into my brain!!
It is something that becomes so difficult once you let a few slip by. I am generally pretty good with keeping up with those sort of things, but there are some you simply put off and then they get forgotten into some sort of black hole.
The whole idea of continuing the strong games and forgetting about the weak ones sounds like something I would also do. I will definitely look into it - maybe you could use those games as a replacement for the "stupid phone games". There must be an app or something for them.
Can't believe the year is almost done. Times flies...
Well my plan is to become good at it! I've gotten worse and worse over the years, to the point that I think I'm now probably that really annoying person that people bitch about because they never respond to text messages etc. So I'm determined to change it! Because I hate it when other people don't write back to me, but not as much as I hate a hypocrite ;)
There is an app for Lumosity, but it's not as good as on the website, and I find that it lowers my average score so I don't use it. It's a paid site, but I think you get a free trial period. I became a bit obsessed with improving my brain ever since I read "The Brain that Changes Itself". Great book, and I've also learned a lot about neuroplasticity through work as well. And crazily enough, I really feel like my attention and memory has improved heaps over the last few years. I think it's probably a result of my job, not Lumosity, but my Lumosity scores reflect it. So I'm a big advocate now that you can change your brain into adulthood. I thought my memory was doomed forever, but I've really surprised myself (well, in some areas anyway, I still don't think I'll ever manage a new language!).
And yeah, it was just New Years a few weeks ago, so how is it December already?!
Kelly! I thought you abandoned lj years ago!
I support your selection of goals! I'd add - have dinner with Georgia in December! :)
Oh also - I'll be holding some quiet drinks at my parent's place for NYE - eleventh story penthouse in Wolli Creek with a killer balcony. You're totally invited. We'll have an amazing view of the fireworks.
Haha yes, I did abandon it years ago. But for whatever reason, here I am! Yes, dinner with Georgia should definitely be my 32nd goal for the month. Maybe next week some time? I'm free Monday, Tuesday and Thursday if any of those work for you.
And not sure what I'll be doing for NY so far, but I'll definitely let you know. Sounds fun, and I haven't seen the fireworks in years :)